Thursday, July 10, 2008

I LOVE YOU, JESUS!

Last Wednesday morning, I stood next to my son and daughter-in-law, and gazed in wonder at the eight-pound miracle she had just brought into this world. Perfect in every way, and without question the most lovely grand-daughter ever born, little Katie tugged instantly at my heart. I longed to hold her, or rather, to be held by her, enthralled by her perilous beauty.

Later, as I held her and memorized her features, I thought of another little girl with the same name. Let me tell you that story.

When my wife and I were also just a couple of kids, she gave birth to twins, quite prematurely. Both were too small to live; but, wanting to acknowledge the reality of their personhood before God, we named them: Aaron Vaughn and Katherine Elizabeth. Both died within a day of their July 3 birthday.

Fast forward twenty-eight years to last spring. Our son and daughter-in-law had been to her doctor, and the ultrasound indicated she was carrying a girl, due in early July. A few days later, the two of them came to our home with a query. They wanted to know if it would be okay to name their daughter Katherine Elizabeth. They also want to add the name Grace, the middle name of our twenty-six year old.

With tears in our eyes, we gladly told them that would be a perfect way of redeeming the old scars in our hearts. More amazing still, their Katie was due around the same time our Katie had been born and died. So, God was determined to change even the memories of our loss that are evoked each summer by this season of fireworks.

All of that was whirling through my mind on Wednesday morning as I sat there holding this little grand-miracle in my arms, recounting the ways in which God had wondrously finalized the healing of an old pain. Then my wife slipped her arm into mine, and pulled me from one reverie into another. “Isn’t she beautiful?” she said.

“Oh, yes,” I replied.

“You know,” she continued, “Jesus came into the world in just the same way!”

“Amazing! It’s really just amazing,” I said, and the tears began to flow fresh.

He could have entered the world as an adult, you know, or ridden suddenly down from on high before the vanguard of heaven’s armies. He could have simply materialized one day in the temple, preaching the Truth, proclaiming the Gospel and demanding by virtue of His spectacular appearing the sudden loyalty of all who beheld Him.

But He chose a more common way, a more humble path to take into this world of rebels. He came in such a way as to claim not only your allegiance but also your heart.

Has He come to you? Remember then, how He enthralled you, drew you and claimed your heart. If it’s been a while, that’s all the more reason to turn to Him now and tell Him, “O Jesus, thank You for loving me and capturing my heart. I love You, Jesus!”

1 comment:

Tim A said...

John,
Those grand kids are great. Glad to hear of the comfort God gave you through the grand daughter.
Really was blessed by this story, and how God blessed you again.
T.A.