Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Living For His Glory Until the End

As a pastor, I occasionally get to talk with people who are nearing the end of their lives. These folks need to discuss certain things, to review the truth of the gospel, and remember that though God is holy and they are sinful, Jesus’ perfect life and death are sufficient to save all who trust in Him. They also need to take stock of their lives and have someone with whom to process their joys and regrets.

In all my discussions with folks as they approach the end of their lives, I’ve never heard anyone say, “I wish I had spent less time with my family and more time at work.” Never. Not once. Not anybody. Indeed, most people – men especially – generally wish they had spent less time at work and more time with their families; less time pursuing their personal hobbies and more time pursuing a deeper relationship with their kids; more time in worship and prayer, and less time in front of the TV; less time doing nothing at all and more time doing something for God.

We who are not yet nearing the end of our lives would do well to learn from the regrets of those who are, so that we don’t suffer the same pangs during our last days. God’s Word records one of the prayers of Moses, who asked God, “So teach us to number our days that we may get a heart of wisdom” (Psalm 90:12). In other words, “Lord, remind us of our impending mortality, so that we may adjust our daily lives accordingly. Teach us to live with the end of our lives in view.”

I am currently in my mid-fifties. Something that appalls me is the amount of money spent in America to persuade people my age to start wasting the rest of their lives. They call it “retirement,” and the mantra of the retirement gurus is this: “You’ve earned it, so now enjoy it. Consume ten, fifteen, twenty years in play, lying around doing pretty much nothing. Never mind that the world around you is going to hell. Forget the fact that these days you so avidly devote to leisure are a time of your life God calls you to redeem in the service of the gospel. Go ahead: fish, putter, play bridge, and collect sea shells.”

How sad to think of such self-absorbed recreation as the final chapter in a life that shall soon end with you standing before Jesus, as He holds out His nail-scarred hand and asks, “How did all that pointless self-indulgence put My glory on display?”

In an effort to live contrary to the culture, I have begun to plan a retirement aimed at diminishing the regret I might otherwise experience at the close of my days. I do not want to shuffle off this globe wistfully wishing I had done things differently!

I believe that, deep in your heart, you want to use your life well! Spend it, then, until the end, upon what eternally matters, for the glory of God!

No comments: