Thursday, February 23, 2006

MY BIRTHDAY WISH LIST

Every year, my wife asks me, "What do you want for your birthday?" Every year, I don't know what to tell her.

So, this year, since my birthday is coming up in a little over a month, I thought I'd tell you the six items on my birthday wish list with plenty of lead time, and see what you can do about it. Remember, this is just what I want for my birthday. I may not get everything on this list; but, I can always ask. See if you can help me out here.

Birthday Wish #1 - I wish that all the church members in the town where I live would actually ATTEND the church of which they are members. I've always thought being a member of a church without participating in the life of that church was like owning a closet full of clothes and going naked all the time.

Birthday Wish #2 - I wish that Christians would remember who the enemy is. It's not that visitor in church who sat in "your" seat. It's not the church board, or the pastor, or anybody else who can bleed. We have an enemy, and his name is not on any church role in town. The devil's biggest successes occur when people forget that he and his lies are what we're supposed to be fighting, not somebody else at church, or some other church.

Birthday Wish #3 - I wish people would complain less and pray more. Not only is complaining a sin (see Philippians 2:14!), it doesn't do any good anyway. If we would spend half as much time praying for people and situations as we do complaining about them, God would do twice as many miracles. I include myself in this.

Birthday Wish #4 - I wish that more of the people who notice problems would become part of the solution. God didn't appoint any of us critics. But He did call us to be problem-solvers. You don't like how the youth leaders teach Sunday School? Ask them if there's any way you could help. You think your church's nursery needs improvement? Get involved. If you're not part of the solution, you may be part of the problem.

Birthday Wish #5 - I wish people would praise God more. I've read about places where the economy is bad. It's not bad here. My wife has worshiped in China where it's prohibited to have a Bible study in your home. A friend of mine has been in countries where church buildings are illegal. Fact is, we have it pretty good in America. Those who know where the blessings come from should give God the credit He deserves.

Final Birthday Wish - I want to be a better husband and father in the fifty-fourth year of my life than I was in the fifty-third. While my ministry at First Baptist is vital, my job at home is more important still. I thank God for a wife and family who haven't gotten too upset when I've forgotten that fact. Next to Jesus, they are the greatest gift I've ever received.

1 comment:

Laura said...

You're the best, Dad! I don't know if I can give you those things for your birthday, but I can pray about those things. And if you'll be a better dad NEXT year than you were THIS year, then you'll be the bestest best dad of all time!

I love you millions